Certification Series: Save the Date
November Basic Swim Instructor: November 14 & 15, 21 & 22
December First Aid Class: December 12
November Basic Swim Lesson Certification
Get certified to become become a certified swim instructor from Parent and Child to Level 3! This course is held from 9am-4pm on two back-to-back weekends.
✔︎ Ages 16 and up
✔︎ Space is limited to 6
✔︎American Red Cross and Wentworth-Douglass Hospital infection prevention protocols
✔︎ Safe Care Commitment
November 14, 15 and 21, 22
Member registration can be done through the Member Portal.
If you have not participated in a program with us in the past, please call to register. 603-742-2163
Questions? Contact Sarah.Cloutier@wdhospital.org
Check back for future class offerings.
Email Sarah with questions.
Lifeguard positions may be available! (must apply)
Pretest: *First class of each session.
Acceptance into the class requires the pretest to be completed and passed. Class continuation dependent on a positive outcome.
- Be at least 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
- Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed.
Surface dive, feet-first or headfirst, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Requirements for successful completion of the course include:
1. Attend and participate in all class sessions.
2. Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
3. Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
4. Correctly answer at least 80 percent of the questions in each of the two sections of the final written exam.
Participants will be granted one second attempt at the final skills practical test and as well as the final written exam. However, if after the second attempt participant is still unable to demonstrate competency of the rescue skill scenarios or a passing score of at least 80% on the final written exam, the participant will be required to repeat the entire lifeguard course again and will be responsible for paying any course fees related to that class again. Any and all fees related to the failed course are non-refundable and official documentation of the participants failure must be submitted to the Red Cross.
NEW! Pricing includes Manuals, CPR Rescue Masks and whistles!
Email us today with questions
Water Safety Instructor Class
Contact us today you are interested in becoming certified or are already certified as an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor and get started teaching children and adults to swim and become more comfortable in the water.
Pretest consists of:
- 25 yards - Front Crawl, Back Crawl, Breaststroke, Elementary Backstroke, Sidestroke
- 15 yards - Butterfly
- Maintain position on back for 1 minute and tread water for 1 minute
Separate Red Cross Online fee: $35:00
- Member $325
- Non-Member $375
Contact us to learn more about how to become a certified American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor and teach children and adults to swim and become more comfortable in the water. Must be 16 +
Interested in a class? We can coordinate a class if we have a minimum of 3 participants. Contact us for more details or if you have any questions? Email us today